Ambitious journalist. Spent seven years working at community newspapers in rural areas of the West and New York. Proud of journalistic ethics and accountability, driven to find news and tell important and informative stories.
Directed development and content planning for newspaper website at daily newspaper on Oregon coast. Coordinated with managing editor and others in newsroom, and managed staff of four reporters. Produced pages for daily newspaper and niche products.
As editor, managed reporting staff, wrote copy, took photographs and designed pages for weekly newspaper and website with close involvement with the daily Hornell Evening Tribune newspaper and website.
As general manager, oversaw office staff in close coordination with regional managers. Managed monthly budget progress. Oversaw transition from in-house pagination to cloud-based system with designers at remote site.
Lake Chelan Mirror and Quad City Herald | NCW Media, Inc.Editor | Chelan, Wash. | August 2008 to August 2010
Managed reporting staff, wrote copy, took photographs and designed pages for weekly Lake Chelan Mirror and Quad City Herald newspapers and websites. Newspaper was cited for excellence by the state newspaper publishers association. Won individual awards from the Society of Professional Journalists at the state and regional level.
Transferred within company to help oversee newly acquired publication. Managed staff of three reporters, wrote copy, took photographs and designed pages for weekly Vernal Express newspaper and website. While editor, subscriptions grew by 20 percent.
Wrote copy, took photographs and designed pages for twice-weekly Sun Advocate newspaper and website. Publication won numerous awards at state media contests.
College of Eastern Utah, Price, Utah — Associate of Science degree with emphasis on journalism, 2006.
- 15 years experience in newspapers, 10 of those years at community newspapers.
- Experienced photographer with digital SLR cameras.
- Well-versed in the full Adobe Creative Suite, including Photoshop, InDesign and Illustrator as well as QuarkXpress.
- Web designer with knowledge of database, dynamic scripting languages, HTML and CSS.
- Knowledge of general accounting procedures and able to track progress on budget.
- Conversationally fluent in Spanish.
Awards & Recognition
- As reporter and editor for student newspaper, won several awards from student news organizations, including Rocky Mountain Collegiate Media Association, Associated Collegiate Press and Columbia Scholastic Press Association.
- In 2010, placed second in general news coverage category for weekly newspapers in Region 10 (Oregon, Washington Montana, Idaho and Alaska) of the Society of Professional Journalists.
References available upon request.